Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: July 27, 1788
Marietta 1788 – present
County Courthouse – Marietta
Location: 205 Putnam Street / Second Street
Built: 1901 – 1902
Architect: Samuel Hannaford and Sons
Contractor: W H Ellis & Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story buff colored limestone structure. The south corner has a high eight story clock tower with open cupola with black colored dome at the top. On the southeast and southwest sides are projecting sections with four columns rising to pediments at the roof line. The interior also includes marble facings on the third floor walls.
S – Wood County, West Virginia
Photos taken 2011