Pleasants County is named for James Pleasants Jr., who was a United States Senator and a Governor of Virginia.
Created: May 29, 1851
St. Marys 1851 – present
County Courthouse – St. Marys
Location: 301 Court Lane / George Street
Built: 1924 – 1925
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Holmboe & Pogue of Clarksburg
Contractor: Putnam & Foreman of Marietta, Ohio
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building sits on a hill overlooking the town to the west. The northwest front has a portico at the center with four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The entrance is framed with polished stone. The building is rectangular and has a flat roof line.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Pleasants County Courthouse
N – Wetzel County
E – Doddridge County
W – Washington County, Ohio
Photos taken 2012