Wood County is named for James Wood, who was a Governor of Virginia.
Created: December 21, 1798
Parkersburg 1798 – present
County Courthouse – Parkersburg
Location: 1 Courthouse Square / 3rd Street & Market Street
Built: 1899 – 1900
Architect: L W Thomas of Canton, Ohio
Contractor: Caldwell & Drake of Columbus, Indiana
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three rough stone story structure. The northwest front has a large arched entrance on the first floor with a high square stone tower rising eight stories to an open section. Each corner of the building has a square tower with steep red roof and dormer windows. The upper windows are arched. The roof is sloped. During construction W F Wood was the superintendent.
County Judicial Building – Parkersburg
Location: 2 Government Square / Market Street
Built: 1982 – 1983
Architect: Silling Associates, Inc. and Earl C Stephensand
Contractor: E Stephens Construction Company
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The northeast front has horizontal glass panels on each story with brown panels between the stories. Along the sides are narrow vertical windows. The roof line is flat.
S – Jackson County
Photos taken 2012