Noble County is named for James Noble, who was an early settler in the area.
Created: April 1, 1851
Sarahsville 1851 – 1854
Caldwell 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Caldwell
Location: 350 Courthouse Street / Main Street
Built: 1933 – 1934
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Charles J Marr of New Philadwlphia, Ohio
Contractor: Civil Works Administration
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a stone faced center section with three arches on the first story and stone framed windows above. The building is rectangular and the roof line is flat. The building was a Civil Works Administration project.
Note: The Ava Brick plant manufactured the brick for the courthouse. Adam Wendling was in charge of construction. A number of firms furnished material for the construction including Noble Construction Company of Caldwell and others. The Civil Works Administration hired local labor for the construction.
Note: The courthouse constructed in 1859 was designed by Thomas Drake and built by William J Young and Dennis Gibb. The building was demolished.
N – Guernsey County
Photos taken 2011 and 2012