Tyler County is named for John Tyler, who was a Governor of Virginia.
Created: December 6, 1814
Sistersville 1814 – 1815
Middlebourne 1815 – present
County Courthouse – Middlebourne
Location: 121 Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1854 – 1855 and rebuilt 1922 – 1923
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Holmboe and Pogue of Clarksburg
Contractor: G F Watson
Description: The building faces west and is a two story light red colored brick and stone structure. The building is in the form of an “H” with the west section projecting north and south and the east section also projecting. The west front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Behind the pediment is a large square light red colored brick clock tower with clock and dome at the top. The roof is hipped. The two story brick building constructed in 1854 was was remodeled and completely redesigned in 1922 to 1923. On the south side is the sandstone Jail constructed in 1874.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Tyler County Courthouse
N – Wetzel County
E – Doddridge County
Photos taken 2012