Athens County is named for the city of Athens in Greece.
Created: March 1, 1805
Athens 1805 – present
County Courthouse – Athens
Location: 1 South Court Street / East Washington Street
Built: 1878 – 1880
Style: Second Empire
Architect: Henry E Myer of Cleveland
Contractor: Henry O’Bleness
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and limestone structure. The east front has a small portico with four columns rising to a balcony on the second story with large arched window and pediment above. On the north side is another pediment with the Lady of Justice. There are dormer windows along the roof. On the center of the roof is a square white clock tower with mansard roof. The building was renovated in 1935 and 2004. The Courthouse Annex is located on the south side of the courthouse. The annex was renovated in 1992.
Note: In October 1878, contracts were signed with D F Minehan for excavation, W W McCoy for stone and brickwork, painting, glazing and joiner work, Brown and Robb for steam heating and plumbing, J M Westwater and W W Westwater for as fixtures and Henry Bleness for galvanized tin, cast and wrought iron work.. Henry Blenrss was also hired to superintendent of construction. The cost of construction was $47,000.
S – Meigs County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2011