Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.
Created: January 29, 1813
Woodsfield 1813 – present
County Courthouse – Woodfield
Location: 101 North Main Street / West Court Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Samuel Hannaford and Sons
Contractor: Robert H Evans & Company of Zanesville
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and Bedford stone structure. The east front has a projecting center section with stone framed central entrance on the first story. There is horizontal stone facing on the first story. Two columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with a wide pediment above at the roof line. .
Note: The courthouse constructed in 1868 was destroyed by fire in 1905. The courthouse has one of ten largest clocks in the world, which can be seen from miles away. Its four faces were installed in 1908 by Howard Clock Company of New York. The cost of the clock was $2,775.
W – Noble County
Photos taken 2012