Greene County is named for Nathanael Greene, who was an officer during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: May 1, 1803
Xenia 1803 – present
County Courthouse – Xenia
Location: 45 North Detroit Street / East Main Street
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Samuel Hannaford and Sons
Contractor: Hennson Brothers and Evans Company of Chicago, Illinois
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored Bedford sandstone structure. The south front has at the southwest corner a high square stone clock tower with gargoyles, turrets and steep red roof. The west entrance has a large arch with smaller arches on each side and balcony above on the second story. The front rises to a peak with a sloped red roof. The base of the building is red Michigan sandstone from Marquette, Michigan. Guarding the Detroit Avenue entrance are two stone griffins ( lions ) made by George McDonnell of Chicago, Illinois. The hardware for the building was supplied by J C Conwell Hardware of Xenia. Thew interior has imported white Italian marble. The Mosiac floors are made of glass tiles. There are stained glass windows above the entrance to the courtroom created by the Art Glass Company of Springfield, Ohio.
Photos taken 2011