Darke County is named for William Darke, who was an officer in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: January 3, 1809
Greenville 1817 – present
County Courthouse – Greenville
Location: 504 South Broadway / West 4th Street
Built: 1874– 1875
Style: Second Empire and Renaissance Revival
Architect: Edwin May
Contractor: Rouzer & Rouzer of Dayton
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story buff colored brick and stone structure. The northeast front has a projecting center section with Statue of Justice at the roof line. Behind rises a tall square white cupola with small round cupola at the top,. The roof line is flat. .On the south side of the building is the County Administration which was constructed in 1870 as a Sheriff’s Residence.
Photos taken 2011