Jay County is named for John Jay, who was co-author of the Federalist Papers, Secretary of Foreign Affairs and first Chief Justice of the United States.
Created: February 7, 1835
Portland 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Portland
Location: 120 North Court Street / West Main Street
Built: 1915– 1917
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: McLaughlin & Hulsken of Lima, Ohio
Contractor: Dawson Construction Company of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored stone structure. The center of the south and north sections project from the main building and have stone framed entrances. Four columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story. There is horizontal stone on the first story. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1870.
S – Randolph County
Photos taken 2008