Montgomery County is named for Richard Montgomery, who was an officer during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: May 1, 1803
Dayton 1803 – present
County Courthouse – Dayton
Location: 41 North Perry Street / West 3rd Street
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Lorenz and Williams and Pretzinger & Pretzinger
Contractor: Knowlton Building Company
Description: The building faces east and is a five story concrete and glass structure. The first story is recessed with vertical concrete dividers and a central entrance. The upper stories have narrow vertical windows divided by vertical concrete dividers. The building is connected to the Dayton-Montgomery County Courts Building on the south side. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Common Pleas Court and the Ohio Second District Court of Appeals.
Dayton-Montgomery County Courts Building – Dayton
Location: 301 West 3rd Street / North Perry Street
Built: 1987 – 1989
Architect: John Ruetshle Associates
Contractor: Carnegie Construction, Inc.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a six story concrete and glass structure. The southeast corner has a curved glass section rising from the first story entrance. Pillars and large grid work sit in front of the entrance. Along the sides are narrow windows with small square windows on the top story. The building is connected to the courthouse on the north side. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Dayton-Montgomery Courts.
Old County Courthouse – Dayton
Location: NW – Main Street / West 3rd Street
Built: 1847 – 1850
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Howard Daniels of New York, New York
Contractor: John W Carey
Description: The building faces east and is a two story limestone structure. The building is located on Courthouse Square and was modeled on the 5th century BC Temple of Hephaestus in Athens, Greece. The building has a stone roof and a cantleevered stone staircase. The east front has a large porch with six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The roof is sloped.
Note: The bid actually went to Carey, Blain & Updegraff in 1845, but in all the arguing about the building, the contractor is named as John W Carey.
County Administration – Dayton
Location: 451 West 3rd Street / Vista View Drive
Built: 1970 – 1972
Architect: Edward Dyrell Stone & Associates and Brown & Head & Associates
Contractor: Maxon Construction Company
Description: The building faces south. and is an eleven story concrete and glass structure. The roof line is flat.
West – Preble County
Photos taken 2011 and 2012