Auglaize County is named for the Auglaize river being a corruption of the French words “eau glaise” meaning “muddy water” or “clay water”, or for the Indian word for “fallen timbers”, “overgrown with brush” or “at the lick”.
Created: February 14, 1848
Wapakoneta 1848 – present
County Courthouse – Wapakoneta
Location: 201 Willipie Street / West Mechanic Street
Built: 1893 – 1894
Style: Neo- Classical
Architect: Julius Kremer and Hart of Columbus
Contractor: E M Campfield & Company of Findlay
Description: The building faces east and is a four story brown colored Berea sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has an extended section with arched entrances on the first story and four columns on the second story rising to a peak with green colored roof. On the center of the roof is a octagonal clock tower with black colored copper roof. The courtrooms are located on the second story. The building has title flooring, marbleized columns and banisters, brass railings, murals and stained glass skylights,. The building was renovated in 2012. The architect was Garnann/Miller & Associates Inc. and the contractor was Petersen Construction.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1850 by Scot Elliott and James Elliott. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $259,481. The Statue of Justice was removed from the clock tower in 1953. The statue was restored by LepoWorks of Lima and is located on the first story of the courthouse.
County Administration – Wapakoneta
Location: 209 Blackhoof Street / West Mechanic Street
Built: 2001 – 2003
Architect: Carmann/Miller & Associates, Inc.
Contractor: Beem Construction Inc. of Botkins
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure.
Built in 2001, the modern building is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the southwest of the courthouse. The east front has a central entrance on the first story with a small portico. White colored horizontal bands run above and below the windows. The roof is hipped with a central raised section.
S – Shelby County
W – Mercer County
Photos taken 2006, 2015 and 2018