Preble County is named for Edward Preble, who was a distinguished naval hero of the American Revolutionary War and of the Tripolitan War.
Created: February 15, 1808
Eaton 1808 – present
County Courthouse – Eaton
Location: 101 East Main Street / Barron Street
Built: 1917 – 1918
Style: Neo-Classical and Greek Revival
Architect: Harvey H Heistand and Richards, McCarty and Bulford, Architects of Columbus
Contractor: M J Roche Construction Company of Cincinnati
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray Indiana Bedford limestone structure. The north front has a protruding center section with ten columns rising from the second to third stories. Above the colonnade is “Salus Populi Suprema Lex” meaning “The health of the people is the supreme law”. Along the first story are three stone arches at the entrance doors. A balustrade encircles the flat roof.
N – Darke County
S – Butler County
Photos taken 2005 and 2008