Miami County is named for the Miami Native American People.
Created: March 1, 1807
Troy 1807 – present
County Courthouse – Troy
Location: 215 West Main Street / North Short Street
Built: 1884 – 1888
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Joseph Warren Yost of Cleveland
Contractor: T B Townsend of Zanesville and Rankin, Kellogg and Crane
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds with fountain. The south front has a porch on the first story with four thin columns rising to a balcony at the second story. Above is a pediment at the roof line. A flight of stairs runs to the main entrance. Each corner has a square tower with white colored dome. On the center of the roof is a circular dome with clock and white colored roof with copper statue of Lady Justice at the top. The interior has frescoed plaster ceilings and arches ornamented with representations of local agricultural produce, marble wainscoting, and mosaic tile along with brilliant wood work. The courtroom is located on the second story.
Note: Statues on the roof of the courthouse are not just decorative; they are symbols that represent life in Miami County: justice in the county court, agriculture, education, industry and transportation. They have sometimes been referred to as “seven allegorical figures.” The statues were made by the W H Mullins Company of Salem, Ohio. William Harold Mullins, the company founder, is remembered as an “iron monger” (an individual known for his skill working with iron.
Note: The first court met at the home of Peter Felix in Staunton and the first courthouse was a log building built in 1811. The second courthouse was a brick structure built by William Burbee and Fielding Young at a cost of $2475. The third courthouse was constructed by A E Turnbull at a cost of $20,000. The dome of the present courthouse was patterned after the United States Capitol in Washington, DC.
County Safety Building – Troy
Location: 201 West Main Street / North Short Street
Built: 1970 – 1972
Contractor: Knowlton Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story brown colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds with the courthouse on the west side of the Courthouse Plaza. The west front has a high concrete portico supported by six concrete pillars rising to an extended third story, The building has vertical concrete pilasters with vertical windows on the first and second stories and horizontal windows on the third story. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Juvenile Court.
N – Shelby County
W – Darke County
County Safety Building
Photos taken 2011 and 2018