Schoharie County is named for a Mohawk word meaning “floating driftwood”.
Created: April 6, 1795
Schoharie 1795 – present
County Courthouse – Schoharie
Location: 290 Main Street / Cemetery Lane
Built: 1870 – 1871
Architect: John Cornelius of Albany
Contractor: John Cornelius of Albany
Description: The building faces west and is a three story blue colored limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Schohaire on the north side of the complex. The building has a small white colored portico with pediment at the first story entrance. Above the entrance is an oval window. A protruding cornice follows the roof line. On the front corners are small towers. On the building center rises a large square tower with mansard roof. On the east and south sides are newer additions.
E – Albany County
W – Otsego County
Phptos taken 2006 and 2017