Columbia County is named for Christopher Columbus, who was a European explorer and who discovered America.
Created: April 4, 1786
Claverack 1786 – 1805
Hudson 1805 – present
County Courthouse – Hudson
Location: 401 Union Street / Court Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Beaux Arts / Classical Revival
Architect: Warren & Wetmore of New York City
Contractor: Andrew J Robinson Company of New York City
Description: The building faces northeast and is a four story gray limestone and concrete structure. The building contains Vermont marble. The northeast front has four columns rising to a decorated pediment at the roof line. The first story windows have small pediment at the top and the second story windows are arched. A stone balustrade runs along the flat roof line. On the center of the roof is a large green colored dome. An addition was constructed on the southwest side. The large courtroom is located on the second story above the entrance. The courtroom has a wide dome ceiling and contains a large portrait of Judge Peter Van Ness arriving at the courthouse at Claverack in 1787. The building was renovated in 2014. The architect was Lothrop Associates and the contractor was Eugene DiLorebzo, Inc.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Henry Skimmer Moul and constructed by Cure & Mont Ross in 1901. The building burned in a fire on January 27. 1907.
Old County Courthouse – Claverack
Location: Route 23B / Old Lane
Built: 1786 – 1787
Architect: William Ludlow
Contractor: William Ludlow
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The front has a one story porch with two columns rising to a wide header. The roof is hipped. The building is now a private residence.
E – Berkshire County, Massachusetts
S – Dutchess County
Photos taken 2014 and 2017