Washington County

US States / M / Missouri / Washington County
Washington

Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.

 

Surrounding Courthouses: 

N – Franklin County

E – Jefferson County and St. Francois County

S – Iron County

W – Crawford County

 

Created:  August 21, 1813                     Map of Missouri highlighting Washington County

County Seat: 

Potosi  1813 – present

 

County Courthouse – Potosi  

 

Location:  102 North Missouri Street / West High Street

Built:  1908– 1909

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Henry H Holenschild

Contractor:  W R Order of Canton

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a three story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Potosi. The southeast front has a porch supported by brick pillars with peaked roof. Behind the porch, rises a five story tower with vertical window and arched windows at the top. There are north and south lower wings. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the second story with balcony on the third story. 

 

See:  The architect, Henry H Hohenschild, also designed courthouses in Barry CountyChristian CountyOsage County, Pemiscot CountyPike CountyPulaski County and Scott County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Pl;aces – Washington County Courthouse

 

See:  The 24th Judicial District covers Madison CountySt. Francois County, Ste. Genevieve County and Washington County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1813 and Potosi was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story stone and brick structure built by Nehemiah Cravens in 1814 to 1815 at a cost of $5,595. Cravens defaulted on the contract other workmen were hired to complete the first story only. The building was razed in 1849. The second courthouse was a two story structure built by Henry Wright in 1849 to 1850 at a cost of $10,000 under the supervision of Matthew Webber, superintendent. In 1897 the courthouse was remodeled. The architect was A H Mitchell and the contractor was D N Porter and Son. The courthouse burned on January 9, 1907. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1908 to 1909 at a cost of $30,000.

 

 

1448m09

County Courthouse – Potosi

 

 

1447m09

 

 

1446m09

 

 

1449m09

 

 

1454m09

 

 

1452m09

 

 

1453m09

Photos taken 2009