Perry County is named for Oliver Hazard Perry, who was a naval office in the War of 1812 and won a decisive naval victory at the Battle of Lake Erie.
Created: November 16, 1820
Perryville 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Perryville
Location: 15 West Sainte Maries Street / North Jackson Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: J W Gaddis of Vincennes, Indiana
Contractor: Caldwell and Drake of Columbus, Indiana.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building located on spacious grounds and is 65 feet by 92 feet. At each entrance is a small white colored wood portico on the first story. The center sections rise to peaked gables at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a high square clock tower with peaked roof. There are horizontal bands of stone.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1825 at a cost of $1,486.25. The second courthouse was built under the supervision of John R Layton in 1861 at a cost of $8,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $31,819.
Photos taken 2009