Iron County is named for the abundance of iron ore in the area.
Created: February 17, 1857
Ironton 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Ironton
Location: 250 South Main Street / West Wayne Street
Built: 1858 – 1860
Architect: Henry H Wright
Contractor: George S Evans and William F Mitchell
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red brick and stone structure. The building was originally 50 feet by 65 feet. There is white colored stone trim at the corners. The second story windows are arched. A white colored horizontal stone band runs between the first and second stories. A small octagonal cupola sits above the east entrance. In 1964, a three story addition was added to the west side which extended the building to 110 feet. The architect was Hutchens and Frangkiser of Kansas City.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $14, 000. The cost of construction of the addition constructed in 1964 was $113,000.
S – Wayne County
Photos taken 2009