Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.
Created: December 8, 1818
Herculaneum 1819 – 1838
Hillsboro 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Hillsboro
Location: 300 Main Street / Locust Street
Built: 1863 – 1865
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Charles H Pond
Contractor: Charles H Pond
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The north front has a projecting central section with four vertical stone pilasters rising to a wide pediment. The central entrance has wood trimmed doorways. There are east and west wings with wood trimmed doorways. There are additional recessed wings on either side. Stone trim runs along the corners. The roof line is flat. In 1892 an addition was added on the east side. The contractor was Joseph Hoeken. In 1954, the building was expanded with wings added on the east and west sides. The work was completed in 1957. The architect was Bruce Barnes and Associates of Poplar Bluff, and the contractor was Plez Lewis. The building was further expanded in 1975 and 1976. The architect was Jack Stefanski and the contractor was Chivetta Clayton.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Roche and Erisman in 1839 at a cost of 3,800. The second courthouse was built by Charles H Pond in 1863 to 1865 at a cost of $16,500. The 892 cost $5,000. The additions in 1954 cost $233,700. The 175 expansion cost $950,000.
County Justice Center – Hillsboro
Location: SW – 1st Street / Maple Street
Built: 2007 – 2008
Architect: Goldberg, Sullivan & McCrerey Inc.
Contractor: Kozeny-Wagner Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick, white colored concrete and glass structure. The building sits on a slope. The entrance is on the west side of the north front. White colored panels are above the windows on the first and second stories. The roof line is flat.
N – St. Louis County
E – Monroe County, Illinois
Photos taken 2009