Nelson County is named for Thomas Nelson, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and who lived from 1738 to 1789.
Created: October 18, 1784
Bardstown 1784 – present
County Courthouse – Bardstown
Location: Court Square / North 3rd Street
Built: 1891 – 1892
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Mason Maury and William J Todd
Contractor: Edward Baker Smith
Description: The building faces north and is a three story dark red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located in the center of Courthouse Square. The central square tower rises four stories and has a mansard roof. A wide curved stone arch frames the north entrance. Above the entrance are a set of windows close together and framed with white colored stone. White colored stone decorates the central tower. There is a peaked roof on either side of the central tower.
County Justice Center – Bardstown
Location: 200 Nelson County Plaza / E Stephenson Road
Built: 2002 – 2003
Architect: John Romanowitz of JRA, Inc.
Contractor: F W Owens Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Above the entrance is a large arched window on the second story. The roof is hipped. The building has a eastern one story extension.
S – Larue County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2018