Anderson County is named for Richard Clough Anderson Jr., who was a United States legislator from 1817 to 1821.
Created: January 16, 1827
Lawrenceville 1827 – present
County Courthouse – Lawrenceville
Location: 151 South Main Street / East Court Street
Built: 1860 – 1861
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Dennis Haly of Frankfort
Contractor: John Haly Construction of Frankfort ( brother of the architect )
Description: The building faces west and is a two story Kentucky River stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The west front has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is an octagonal open sided dome with clock at the top. In 1905, the front wall was moved forward, the size of the cupola reduced and the building remodeled by C E Bond. On April 13, 1915, fire almost destroyed the building. Using the original walls, the building was restored by architects Joseph and Joseph and the contractor was A J Stair of Knoxville, Tennessee. An addition was constructed on the east side in 1998. The architect was WMB, Inc. and the contractor was E H Construction Company.
Note: The first courthouse was a small two story brick building constructed in 1829 at a cost of $3,000 and was destroyed by fire in 1859. The cost of construction of the second courthouse was $14,000 and the cost of reconstruction in 1915 was $39,146.
E – Woodford County
Photos taken 2007 and 2018