Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: June 22, 1792
Springfield 1792 – present
County Courthouse – Springfield
Location: 111 North Cross Main Street / Main Street
Built: 1814 – 1816
Architect: Thomas H Letcher
Contractor: Thomas H Letcher
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front has a one story Doric portico supported by four white colored columns. There is a smaller portico on the west side. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola which was added in 1840. The building is on a white colored stone base. In 1918, the portico was added. The architect was Frank Brewer. The two story gray colored stone addition was added in 1938.to 1939 on the north side. The addition houses the county administration.
Note: The building is the oldest courthouse in Kentucky. The cost of construction of the courthouse was $4,195. The commissioners, Robert Crouch, Paul Booker, John Reed, David Rodman, John Calhoun, Arthur Gibbins and Jacob Seay were appointed to contract for a new courthouse and they developed the plans in conjunction with the contractor Thomas H Letcher at a cost of $2,500.
Note: The first courts met in private homes. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1793 to 1794 by Hugh McElroy. The second courthouse was built in 1797 by John Dowdal and was destroyed by fire in 1814..
See: National Register of Historic Places – Washington County Courthouse
County Judicial Center – Springfield
Location: 117 North Cross Main Street / Main Street
Built: 2006 – 2008
Architect: Brandstetter Carroll Inc.
Contractor: Cordell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located south of the courthouse. On the northwest corner is a large portico with high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a large statue of Lincoln in front of the building. The second story windows have concrete arches above. A wide concrete band runs below the flat roof line. On the roof is a high white colored cupola with clock.
S – Marion County
W – Nelson County
County Judicial Center
Photos taken in 2007 and 2018