Hardin County is named for John Hardin, who was a pioneer in the area and who lived from 1753 to 1792.
Created: December 15, 1792
Elizabethtown 1792 – present
County Courthouse – Elizabethtown
Location: 14 Public Square / Main Street
Built: 1933 – 1934
Architect: Thomas Nolan of Louisville
Contractor: H G Wittenburg
Description: The building faces west and is a three story dark red colored brick and concrete structure, which sits in the center of the Public Square. The west front has a portico supported by four narrow columns, with a balcony above. White colored stone fills in the three window space above the entrance. The front section of the building protrudes and a stone balustrade is along the roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1872 to 1873. An addition was designed by Brinton Beauregard Davis and constructed in 1906. The building was destroyed by fire in 1932.
County Justice Center – Elizabethtown
Location: 120 East Dixie Street / Quince Alley
Built: 1996 – 1997
Architect: Louis & Henry Group of Louisville
Contractor: Jenkins-Essex Corporation of Elizabethtown
Description: The building faces west and is a two story concrete and glass structure.
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2018