Barren County is named for The Barrens, a region of grassland in Kentucky.
Created: December 20, 1798
Glasgow 1798 – present
County Courthouse – Glasgow
Location: 100 Courthouse Square / Main Street
Built: 1965 – 1966
Architect: Bayless, Clotfelter and Johnson of Lexington
Contractor: Ernest Simpson Construction Company.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has a high portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to the pediment at the roof line. Stairs on the east and west ascend to the white entrance doorway under the portico. Between the second and third stories is a white protruding cornice. On the center of the roof is a tall square white cupola with clock and smaller cupola above. The building was renovated in 1998 to 1999. The architect was Bradsetter Caroll of Lexington and the contractor was James N Gray of Glasgow,
Note: The third courthouse was built in Glasgow in 1804. The fourth courthouse was designed by S M Bagley and built in 1838 to 1840 and the third courthouse was dismantled. The fifth courthouse was designed by Mason Maury and built by Walter Brashear in 1896.
N – Hart County
E – Metcalfe County
S – Monroe County
Photos taken 2007 and 2014