Spencer County is named for Spears Spenser, who was a military captain killed at the Battle of Tippecanoe.
Created: January 7, 1824
Taylorsville 1824 – present
County Courthouse – Taylorsville
Location: 2 West Main Street / Main Cross Street
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: General Construction Company of Louisville
Contractor: Gasway W Bowles of Louisville
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick and stone structure. The south front has a large portico with four large white Roman Ionic columns. The building has a raised basement. On the west side is a large addition built in 1974 with brown colored brick construction and joined the old People’s Bank building built in 1903. Behind the courthouse is the old jail..
Note: In 1824, the first courthouse was built by Matthew Nelson, Taylor Besse, George Boone and Ralph Lancaster. The second courthouse was built by George McGew in 1828 at a cost of $6740. The previous courthouse was constructed in 1866 and the building was destroyed by fire in 1913. The contract to rebuild the courthouse was awarded to General Construction Company of Louisville for $28,000 in 1914. Gasway W Bowles of Louisville was then hired by General Construction Company to construct the courthouse.
County Courthouse Annex – Taylorsville
Location: 27 East Main Street / Main Cross Street
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located to the east of the courthouse. The south front has a white colored portico supported by four columns rising to a pediment. The white colored entrance has a fanlight, The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story.
N – Shelby County
E – Anderson County
S – Nelson County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2007 and 2018