Clarke County is named for James Clarke, who was appointed Governor of the Iowa Territory in 1854.
Created: January 13, 1846
Osceola 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Osceola
Location: 100 South Main Street / West Washington Street
Architect: Williamson – Loebsack & Associates
Contractor: D C Bass & Sons Construction Company.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is “L” shaped with the two story section along the west side and a one story section extending east. The southeast entrance has a small brick portico with pitch roof. Along the south side are concrete pillars with white concrete facing above on the second story. The building alternates the brick and white concrete facing. An addition was added on the south side in 1995 creating the main southeast entrance. The architect was Moore Associates of Omaha, Nebraska and the contractor was Denis Delila Vedova, Inc. of Albia.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1854 at a cost of $1,600. The second courthouse was built by Andersen in 1892. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $275,000.
E – Lucas County
S – Decatur County
W – Union County
Photos taken 2008