Decatur County is named for Stephen Decatur, Jr., who was a hero in the War of 1812.
Created: January 13, 1846
Leon 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Leon
Location: 207 North Main Street / Northeast 2nd Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Architect: Smith, Wetherell & Gage
Contractor: Lauritzen Bros
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, iron, steel, stone, tile, marble and granite structure. The foundation of the building is horizontal white colored stone with the entrance trimmed with stone on the first story. Above the entrance is a large window trimmed with stone. The east and west front sections project from the main building and wings extend east and west at the building center. Atop the roof is a high brick clock tower with open arched windows and topped by a silver colored dome. .The superintendent during construction was J A Wilson.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1846 at a cost of $375. The second courthouse was destroyed by a windstorm and the third courthouse was destroyed by fire. The fourth courthouse was constructed at a cost of $20,000 in 1875.
N – Clarke County
E – Wayne County
W – Ringgold County
Photos taken 2008