Ringgold County is named for Samuel B Ringgold, who was a soldier killed in the American-Mexican War.
Created: February 24, 1847
Mount Ayr 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Ayr
Location: 109 West Madison Street / North Taylor Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Tudor Revival and Classical Revival
Architect: Keffer & Jones
Contractor: L T Grisman Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular building is 86 feet by 91 feet. White colored stone trim runs horizontally between the first and second stories and above the third story where a stone cornice projects. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1856. The second courthouse was built in 1858 at a cost of $3,500. The third courthouse was designed by Eckel & Mann and built by R K Allen in 1883 at a cost of $36,455. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $132,533.
N – Union County
E – Decatur County
W – Taylor County
Photos taken 2008