Wayne County is named for Anthony Wayne, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War, and who lived from 1745 to 1796.
Created: January 13, 1846
Corydon 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Corydon
Location: 101 Franklin Street / West Jackson Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Frankhiser & Hutchens
Contractor: Grabau Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a three story concrete structure. The west front is divided into four sections by vertical concrete dividers. The entrance is on the north side of centre and has white concrete facing with a clock above the glass entrance on the first story. The other sections have dark brown colored brick with narrow vertical windows. The north and south walls are white colored concrete facing. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Corydon 1856 at a cost of $600. The second courthouse was built by E A Rea and Alex Mordis in 1890. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $450,000.
N – Lucas County
E – Appanoose County
W – Decatur County
Photos taken 2008