Taylor County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Taylor County
Taylor

Taylor County is named for Zachary Taylor, who was the twelfth President of the United States of America.

 

Created:  February 24, 1847

County Seat:

Bedford  1853 – present

 

County Courthouse – Bedford

 

Location:  405 Jefferson Street / Court Avenue

Built:  1892 – 1893

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  F M Ellis

Contractor:  Allan H Chaffee

 

Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is constructed of pressed bricks and Bedford limestone. The south entrance has a wide stone trimmed arch with recessed doorway. Above are two turrets with conical roofs. The third story has a large arched window. In the center of the building is a large square white colored cupola with clock and white colored dome. The base of the building is white colored course stone. The roof is hipped. The building has an elegant spiral staircase.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1863. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $38,810. The contractor lost money on the project, so the county gave him an additional $1,000 and a gold watch to thank him for remaining faithful to the original contract price.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Adams County

E – Ringold County

S – Worth County, Missouri and Nodaway County, Missouri 

W – Page County

 

 

0636i08

 

 

0637i08

 

 

0638i08

 

 

0640i08

 

 

06418

Photos taken 2008