Lucas County is named for Robert Lucas, who was a Governor of the Iowa Territory.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Monroe County
S – Wayne County
W – Clarke County
Created: January 13, 1846
Chariton 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Charlton
Location: 916 Braden Avenue / North Main Street
Built: 1893 – 1894
Architect: Foster & Liebbe
Contractor: D Eikenberry and G J Stewart
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored sandstone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Charlton. The north front has a center section with large arched entrance on the first story and above it rises to a peak at the third story. The windows are vertical and narrow. On the northwest corner of the building is a large square sandstone clock tower with turrets on each corner. The building houses the County District Court of the 5B Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1846 and Charlton was selected as the county seat in 1850 when the county was organized. The first courthouse was built in 1880 at a cost of $374. The second courthouse was built at a cost of $18,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1893 to 1894 at a cost of $59,670.
County Courthouse - Charlton
Photos taken 2008