Madison County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Madison County
Madison

Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the fourth President of the United States of America.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Dallas County

E – Warren County

S – Clarke County and Union County

W – Adair County

 

Created:  January 13, 1846                    Map of Iowa highlighting Madison County

County Seat:

Winterset  1849 – present

 

County Courthouse – Winterset

 

Location:  112 North John Wayne Avenue / Jefferson Street

Built:  1876 – 1878

Style:  Italianate-Revival-Classical

Architect:  Alfred H Piquenard and John C Cochrane

Contractor:  Jacob Reichard

 

Description: The building faces north and is a two story native limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Winterset. The building has four wings which join to form a Greek cross. The north front has a one story portico supported by eight thin columns with three arched windows on the second story. There is a portico on each wing. On the center of the roof is a silver colored dome with bell, clock and small cupola at the top. The interior has solid walnut woodwork. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County District Court of the 5A Judicial District.

 

History:  The county was created in 1846 and Winterset was named as the county seat in 1849. The first courts were held in different stores and taverns. The first courthouse was a double log cabin built in 1849 at a cost of $150. The second courthouse was a gray limestone structure designed by Gurdon Paine Randall of Chicago built in 1868. A fire on October 2, 1875 destroyed the courthouse.  The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1876 to 1877 at a cost of $120,000. The stone was quarried and cut by local laborers.

 

 

0939i08

County Courthouse – Winterset

 

 

0942i08

 

 

0938i08

 

 

0941i08

 

 

0943i08

 

 

0946i08

 

 

0945i08

Photos taken 2008