Noble County is named for James Noble, who was the first United States Senator from Indiana.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – LaGrange County
E – DeKalb County
S – Allen County and Whitley County
W – Kosciusko County and Elkhart County
Created: February 7, 1835
Sparta ( Kimmel ) 1836 – 1837
Augusta 1837 – 1844
Port Mitchell 1844 – 1846
Albion 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Albion
Location: 101 North Orange Street / West Jefferson Street
Built: 1888 – 1889
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: E O Fallis & Company of Toledo, Ohio
Contractor: M J Malone and Brothers
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The square shaped building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Albion. The center section of the east front projects from the main building and has an arched entrance on the first story. On the second story are three narrow arched windows and a round tower on the south side which rises to a small octagonal cupola. In the center of the building is a large square clock tower with round turrets. The base of the building is white colored course stone. The building houses the County Circuit Court and the County Superior Court of the 6th Judicial District. To the west is the Old County Jail and to the south is the County Courthouse Annex.
See: The archirect, E O Fallis & Company of Toledo, Ohio also designed courthouses in Paulding County, Ohio and Williams County, Ohio.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Noble County Courthouse
County Courthouse Annex – Albion
Location: 109 West Hazel1 Street / North York Street
Built: 2020 – 2021
Architect: American Structurepoint of Evansville
Contractor: Weigand Construction of Fort Wayne
Description: The building faces south and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Albion to the south of the courthouse. The building has a rectangular shaped east wing which joins a square shaped concrete and glass entrance section on the west side. A recessed rectangular shaped west wing comes behind the central entrance section. The windows are vertical and the roof line is flat.
See: The 6th Judicial District includes DeKalb County, LaGrange County, Steuben County and Whitley County.
History: The county was created in 1835 and Sparta (Kimmel) was selected as the county seat in 1836. The county seat was moved to Augusta in 1837. The first courthouse was a frame structure built by the town proprietors in 1840 but was destroyed by fire in 1843. The county seat was moved to Port Mitchell in 1844. The second courthouse was a frame structure erected as a temporary building by the town proprietors. The county seat was moved to Albion in 1846. The third courthouse was a frame structure built by Samuel T Clyner in 1847 at a cost of $4,045. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on January 25, 1859. The fourth courthouse was a brick structure built by George Harvey in 1861 at a cost of $11,000 including the jail. The courthouse was demolished in 1887. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1888 to 1889 at a cost of $114,062. The County Courthouse Annex was constructed in 2020 to 2021 at a cost of $15,000,000.
County Courthouse – Albion
Photos taken 2008