Whitley County is named for William Whitley, who was killed at the Battle of the Thames in the War of 1812.
Created: February 7, 1835
Columbia City 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Columbia City
Location: 101 West Van Buren Street / South Main Street
Built: 1888 – 1890
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Brentwood S Tolan of Fort Wayne
Contractor: Joseph S Baker of Warsaw
Description: The building faces north and is a two story gray colored stone structure. The north portico has a large stone arch on the first story with four columns on the second story with pediment above. On each corner of the building are steep roofed towers and on the east and west are rounded turrets at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal dome with green colored roof and clock.
North – Noble County
East – Allen County
South – Huntington County
Photos taken 2008