Elkhart County is named for the Elkhart Indian tribe, or after an island in the St. Joseph River that was shaped like the heart of an elk which the French named “heart of the stag” which became “Elkhart”, or named after Shawnee Chief Elkhart.
Created: April 1, 1830
Dunlap 1830 – 1831
Goshen 1831 – present
County Courthouse – Goshen
Location: 101 North Main Street / West Lincoln Avenue
Built: 1868 – 1870
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: J H Barrow and George O Garnsey of Chicago, Illinois
Contractor: Elkhart County
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on Courthouse Square. The building has a large portico on the east and west sides with three arches on the first story and four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The north and south wings are lower. A balustrade runs along the roof line of the centre section of the building. On the center of the roof is a large clock tower with red colored dome and small green cupola at the top. The building was redesigned in 1909 by architect Patton and Miller of Chicago, Illinois and the contractor was P H McCormick of Columbus.
County Courthouse – Elkhart
Location: 315 South 2nd Street / West Franklin Street
Built: 1993 – 1994
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored concrete structure. The east front has a central entrance with a slightly projecting section rising above the roof line and having a recessed entrance. The second story overhangs the recessed first story. There are few windows and roof line is flat. The building is connected on the west side with a two story red colored brick structure built in 1910 to 1911 as the Elkhart High School. The architect was E Hill Turnock.
East – LaGrange County
South – Kosciusko County
Photos taken 2008