Steuben County is named for Baron Frederick von Steuben, who was an officer in the American Revolutionary War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Branch County, Michigan
E – Hillsdale County, Michigan and Williams County, Ohio
S – DeKalb County
W – LaGrange County
Created: February 7, 1835
Angola 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Angola
Location: 55 South Public Square / East Maumee Street
Built: 1867 – 1868
Style: New England and Greek Revival
Architect: Freeborn Patterson
Contractor: G Holmes & Miles of LaPorte
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building faces onto the Public Square on landscaped grounds in the center of Angola. The foundation is field stone. The building has long narrow windows on the second story. Above the north front is a square cupola with a smaller octagonal cupola with dome. The roof is hipped and has the original tiles. The building houses the County Circuit Court and the County Superior Court of the 6th Judicial District. During construction the superintendent was Hiram A Wakefield. An addition was constructed in 1937 adding a third story.
Note: The building was constructed of brick made at Lake James by Holms & Miles of LaPorte. When the 1937 addition was constructed, a third story was added to the original structure by utilizing the very high second story ceiling. The entire second story was originally a single courtroom.
Note: A bronze bust of Baron Friedrich von Steuben by Lou Ann Lanagan Kjosen stands in front of the Steuben County Courthouse in Angola.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Steuben County Courthouse
County Justice Center – Angola
Location: South Martha Street / East South Street
Built: 2022 – 2024 ( Under construction )
Architect: RQAW Architects
Contractor: Weigand Construction of Fort Wayne
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces west and was completed in 2024. The building is located on the landscaped grounds in the center of Angola to the southeast of the courthouse. The first story would be made of cast concrete, which will somewhat resemble limestone. The roof line is flat.
See: The 6th Judicial District includes DeKalb County, LaGrange County, Noble County and Whitley County.
History: The county was created in 1838 and Angola was selected as the county seat. The court met at the homes of Cornelius Gilman and Thomas Gale. The first courthouse was a frame structure built by the founders of Angola in 1841 at a cost of $2,000. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1867 to 1868 at a cost of construction of $26,392. The County Justice Center was constructed in 2022 to 2024 at a cost of $26,500,000.
County Courthouse – Angola
Photos taken 2008