Clark County is named for George Rogers Clark, who was victorious over the British in capturing Fort Kaskaskia, Fort Cahokia and Fort Vincennes.
Created: February 3, 1801
Springfield 1801 – 1802
Jeffersonville 1802 – 1811
Charlestown 1811 – 1878
Jeffersonville 1878 – present
County Courthouse – Jeffersonville
Location: 501 East Court Avenue / Meigis Street
Built: 1968 – 1970
Architect: Wright, Porteous & Lowe Inc.
Contractor: F H Wilheim Construction Company
Description: The buildings face south and are a complex of buff colored brick and concrete structures. The building at the southwest corner has large high arches and a flat roof. The centre section is one story with a higher building on the east side. There is another building on the northwest side.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Charlestown in 1850. The previous courthouse was built in Jeffersonville in 1878.
S – Jefferson County, Kentucky
Photos taken 2008