Floyd County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Floyd County
Floyd

Floyd County is named for John Floyd, who was a leading pioneer in Jefferson County, Kentucky, or for Davis Floyd, who was a local politician and the county’s first judge.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Washington County and Clark County

E – Clark County

S – Jefferson County, Kentucky

W – Harrison County

 

Created:  January 2, 1819                                                          Map of Indiana highlighting Floyd County

County Seat: 

New Albany  1819 – present

 

County Courthouse – New Albany  

 

Location:  311 West 1st Street / West Spring Street

Built:  1959 – 1961

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Walker, Applegate, Oakes & Ritz

Contractor:  Leo C Miller Company

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a four story glass and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of New Albany. There is a canopy at the first story entrance on the northeast side. The windows are horizontal and divided by narrow vertical concrete dividers. There are yellow colored panels between the stories. The roof line is flat. The building contains the New Albany city offices. The building houses the County Circuit Court and County Superior Court of the 23rd Judicial District. 

 

Note:  The columns from the 1867 have been placed beside the present courthouse.

 

See:  The 23rd Judicial District includes Clark County and Scott County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1819 and New Albany was selected as the county seat. The first court met at Seth Woodruff’s tavern. The first courthouse was designed by William Norman and built by Charles Paxton in 1824 to 1827 at a cost of $11,000. The second courthouse was designed by Stancliff & Vogdes and built in 1865 to 1867 at a cost of $127,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1959 to 1961 at a cost of $2,400,000.

 

 

1433i-i08

County Courthouse – New Albany

 

 

1432i-i08

 

 

x3

 

 

x2

 

 

1434i-i08

Columns from 1867 County Courthouse

Photos taken 2008