Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.
Created: November 23, 1810
Madison 1811 – present
County Courthouse – Madison
Location: 300 East Main Street / Jefferson Street
Built: 1854 – 1855
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: David Dubach
Contractor: David Dubach, Henry C Kyle and J W Hinds.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. On the west side is a portico with arches on the first story and supported by four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The base of the building is white colored stone. There is a peaked roof on the south and north sides at the center. On the center of the roof is a round dome with clock and small cupola at the top. The building was renovated in 1960. The architect was Sieco, Inc. of Columbus and the contractor was Wespiser Construction Company of Statesville.
W – Scott County
Photos taken 2008