Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: December 21, 1813
Salem 1814 – present
County Courthouse – Salem
Location: 99 Public Square / Main Street
Built: 1886 – 1888
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Harry, Kenneth and Roy McDonald of Louisville, Kentucky
Contractor: Crumbo, Melcher, Routh & Company of New Albany and Salem.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story gray colored limestone structure. The limestone was quarried locally. The south side of the front has a porch with five arches and recessed entrance. Above are five long arched windows with a peaked roof above. On the north side rises a high stone tower with clock and round open tower above with a conical roof.
N – Jackson County
Photos taken 2008