Pulaski County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Pulaski County
Pulaski

Pulaski County is named for Count Casimir Pulaski, who was a hero killed in the attack on Savannah, Georgia in 1779.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Union County and Johnson County

E – Massac County and Ballard County, Kentucky

S – Ballard County, Kentucky and  Alexander County

W – Alexander County

 

Created:  March 3, 1843                                                             Map of Illinois highlighting Pulaski County

County Seat:

Caledonia    1843 – 1868

Mound City  1868 – present

 

County Courthouse – Mound City

 

Location:  500 Illinois Avenue / High Street

Built:  1912 – 1913

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Solon Willis

Contractor:  Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky

 

Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Mound City. The building is rectangular and the south front has horizontal stone facing rising to a wide stone header at the top of the second story, on either side of the central entrance. The entrance doorway has a small stone header. The base of the building is reddish-orange colored brick. A horizontal stone band runs below the roof line which makes a semi circle above the entrance and has a stone crest. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was crempodeled in 1964.

 

See:  The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky

 

History:  Caledonia became the first county seat in 1843. The first courthouse was erected in 1847. The county seat moved to Mound City in 1868 and the second courthouse was a commercial building. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1912.

 

 

1472k07

County Courthouse – Mound City

 

 

0161t12

 

 

1471k07

 

 

x1_0

Photos taken 2007 and 2012