Union County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Union County
Union

Union County is named for the federal union of the America States.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Jackson County and Williamson County

E – Johnson County

S – Pulaski County and Alexander County

W – Cape Girardeau, Missouri and Perry County, Missouri

 

Created:  January 2, 1818                                                          Map of Illinois highlighting Union County

County Seat:

Jonesboro  1818 – present

 

Former County Courthouse – Jonesboro

 

Location:  309 West Market Street / Elm Street

Built:  1857 – 1858

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  John E Naill, John Rinehurst and George W Walborn

Contractor:  Jeremiah Rymer

 

Description: The building faced south and was a two story white colored plaster and brick structure. The building was located on landscaped grounds in the center of Jonesboro. The south front had a rounded canopy extending from the central doorway. The windows were longer in height, and the roofline was tiered to the flat section at the top. Above the roof line was a square white colored base with an octagonal white wood cupola with rounded roof. Vertical grey bands were on the front of the building with a horizontal band above the second story. On either side of the main building were buff brick additions of two stories. Additions were constructed in 1894 being a Clerk’s Office constructed by Abel W Robinson, 1963 and 1967 additions constructed by Dewey Brown and and 1976 addition constructed by J D Construction Company of Anna..This building was demolished when the new courthouse on the north side was completed.

 

New County Courthouse – Jonesboro

 

x

 

Location:  309 West Market Street / Elm Street

Built:  2011 – 2013

Style:  Modern

Architect:   HO+K Architect

Contractor:  River City Construction

 

Description: The building faces south and is a twoe buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is being constructed on the north side of the current courthouse. The old courthouse was demolished in 2013.

 

History:  The county was created in 1818 and Jonesboro was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the house of Jacob Hunsaker Jr. in 1818. The first courthouse was a one story log structure built by Thomas Cox at a cost of $40 in Jonesborough ( Jonesboro ). The second courthouse was a wooden frame structure built by Dr. Nathaniel Davis in 1819 to 1821 with John Wigle. Jacob Hunsaker and George Woolf completing the construction. The third courthouse was a two story brick and stone structure designed by Willian R Singleton and built by John Freeman in 1838 to 1840.  The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1857 to 1858 at a cost of $4,912 and was torn down in 2013. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 2012 to 2013.

 

 

0140t12

Former County Courthouse – Jonesboro

 

 

0141t12

 

 

0139t12

 

 

1477k07

 

 

0143t12

New County Courthouse construction

Photos taken 2007 and 2012