Ballard County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Ballard County
Ballard

Ballard County is named for Bland Ballard, who was a soldier in the Battle of Fallen Timbers and Battle of River Raisin, and who lived from 1761 to 1853.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Pulaski County, Illinois

E – McCracken County

S – Carlisle County

W – Mississippi County, Missouri, Alexander County, Illinois and Pulaski County, Illinois

 

Created:  February 15, 1842                  Map of Kentucky highlighting Ballard County

County Seat: 

Blandville  1842 – 1882

Wickliffe    1882 – present

 

County Courthouse – Wickliffe

                       

Location:  132 North 4th Street / Court Street

Built:  1903 – 1905

Style:  Colonial  and Beaux Arts

Architect:  Jerome Bibb Legg of St. Louis, Missouri

Contractor:  Samuel H Jenkins

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Wickliffe. The west front has a portico supported by four white colored columns with a balcony at the second story. At the roof is the pediment unsupported. The building has a stone base. The corners of the building have stone trim. On the roof center is a large white colored octagonal cupola with clock. All the interior woodwork is original in natural finished oak. The open stair has a bannistered rail and a panelled newel post. Wainscoting is found throughout the interior. The courtrooms are located on the second story and most of the original courtroom furniture remains, with pew like spectators benches, oak railing and a judge’s bench. The building was renovated from 1994 to 1996. The architect was CMW Inc. of Lexington.

 

See:  The present courthouse is modeled after the courthouse in  Mississippi County, Missouri, which was also designed by Jerome Bibb Legg and which was destroyed by fire in 1997.

 

History:  The first county seat in 1842 was Blandville and the first courthouse was built in 1844 at a cost of $6,000. The courthouse was destroyed by fire on February 17, 1880. When the county seat was moved to Wickliffe in 1882, the City Hall housed the court as the second courthouse until the third and present courthouse was completed in 1905 at a cost of $25,000.

 

 

0171t12

County Courthouse – Wickliffe

 

 

0172t12

 

 

0173t12

 

 

0174t12

 

 

313t18

 

 

317t18

 

 

318t18

 

 

319t18

 

 

320t18

 

 

316t18

 

 

321t18

 

 

322t18

 

 

323t18

 

 

324t18

 

 

325t18

 

 

326t18

 

 

308t18

Photos taken 2007, 2012 and 2018