Alexander County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Alexander County
Alexander

Alexander County is named for William Alexander, who was an early settler in the district and a State Representative.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Union County

E – Pulaski County and Ballard County, Kentucky

S – Mississippi County, Missouri

W – Scott County, Missouri and Cape Girardeau, Missouri

 

Created:  March 4, 1819                                                             Map of Illinois highlighting Alexander County

County Seat:

America    1818 – 1833

Unity         1833 – 1845

Thebes      1845 – 1860

Cairo         1860 – present

 

County Courthouse – Cairo

 

Location:  2000   Washington Avenue / 19th Street

Built:  1964 – 1965

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Berger Kelley United and Associates

Contractor:  Crawford Construction Company

 

Description: The building faces west and is a one story brick, concrete, stone and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Cario. The north section is reddish-orange colored brick with light colored stone panels below the windows. The flat roof line has a wide greenish colored horizontal concrete band. The glass entrance is on the west side towards the south side with a higher light colored stone faced section on the southwest corner.

 

Old County Courthouse – Thebes

  

0149t12

 

Location:  Oak Street / 5th Street

Built:  1947 – 1948

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:   H A Barkhauser of Unity

Contractor:   H A Barkhauser of Unity

 

Description: The building faces west and is a two story tan colored stone structure. The building sits on the edge of a bluff in Thebes overlooking the Mississippi River. The west front has a two story wood porch.

 

History:  America became the county seat in 1819 and William Alexander built the first courthouse, a brick structure. In 1833, the county seat was moved to Unity and the second courthouse, a log structure, was erected in 1835 but burned in 1842. The county seat moved to Thebes in 1843. The third courthouse was built in 1847 to 1848 at a cost of $4,400 and is still standing. The county seat was moved to Cairo in 1860. The fourth courthouse was designed by J K Frick and constructed by John Major in 1865. The county used the Old Custom House due to the deterioration of the courthouse. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1964 to 1965.

 

Note:  The lowest point in Illinois is the Misssissippi River at 279 feet ( 85 meters ) which is located in the county. 

 

 

0163t12

County Courthouse – Cairo

 

 

0165t12

 

 

0164t12

 

 

0166t12

 

 

0169t12

Old Customs House – Cairo

 

 

0145t12

Old County Courthouse – Thebes

 

 

0146t12

 

 

0147t12

 

 

0150t12

 

 

0153t12

Photos taken 2007 and 2012