Jersey County is named for the State of New Jersey, which derives its name from the Isle of Jersey in Great Britain.
Created: February 28, 1839
Jerseyville 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Jerseyville
Location: 201 West Pearl Street / South Washington Street
Built: 1894 – 1895
Architect: Henry Elliott of Chicago
Contractor: Frederick W Menke of Quincy
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The south front has a brown stone portico on the first story. On the second story are a series of long vertical windows surrounded with brown stone. The roof forms a steep peak at the front and on the east and west are pavilions with steep peaked roofs. In the center of the building, a tall square white colored tower rises with an octagonal tower on top with steep roof.
County Administration – Jerseyville
Location: 200 North Lafayette Street / West Exchange Street
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building was formerly a church. A modern addition was constructed on the north side of the existing building.
N – Greene County
E – Macoupin County
W – Calhoun County
Photos taken 2007 and 2012