Greene County is named for Nathaniel Greene, who was a general and the commander in the southern colonies during the American Revolutionary War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Macoupin County
S – Jersey County
Created: January 20, 1821
Carrollton 1821 – present
County Courthouse – Carrollton
Location: 519 North Main Street / South 6th Street
Built: 1891 – 1892
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Henry Elliott of Chicago
Contractor: Frederick W Menke of Quincy
Description: The building faces North and is a two story rough buff colored stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Carrollton. The north front has a one story rough stone portico supported by four square pillars. Above the portico is a railed balcony with large arched window flanked on either side by smaller arched windows. The roof line rises with a white colored statue of a woman. In the building center is a high stone tower with steep roof and clock. The roof is mansard. In the interior, the floors are white colored marble, slate and Roman mosaic tile. Most of the wood is oak. The courtroom is located on the second story and has a large chandelier.
History: The county was created in 1821 and Carrollton was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a long frame structure was built by William Finley and Thomas Finley in 1821 to 1822 at a cost of $380 to $700. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by Moses Stevens and built by Thomas Rattan in 1830 to 1832 at a cost of $7,000. An addition was built in 1883. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1891 to 1892 at a cost of $40,231.
County Courthouse - Carrollton
Photos taken 2007 and 2012