Macoupin County is named for the Indian word “macoupiana”, which means “white potato” for the wild artichoke which grew in the area.
Created: January 17, 1829
Carlinville 1829 – present
County Courthouse – Carlinville
Location: 201 East Main Street / East Street
Built: 1867 – 1870
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Elijah E Myers
Contractor: John Yowell
Description: The building faces north and is a three story light colored Magnesian limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The north and south sides have large porticos with four large stone columns rising to a parapet at the roof. There are high arched windows on the second and third floors. In the center of the building is a large round dome with silver roof and a small silver cupola at the top. Inside a large courtroom is located beneath the dome on the third story.
Note: The previous courthouse was built bt Weatherford Brothers, Harbird and Jefferson in 1836.
S – Madison County
Photos taken 2008