St. Charles County

US States / M / Missouri / St. Charles County
St. Charles

St. Charles County is named for St. Charles Borromeo, who was an Italian saint and cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church.

 

Created:  October 1, 1812 

County Seat: 

St. Charles  1812 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – St. Charles  

 

Location:  100 North 3rd Street / Jefferson Street

Built:  1900– 1903

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Jerome B Legg

Contractor:  Nicholas Pelligreen of St. Louis and J W Thompson

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story Carthage and Bedford stone structure. The building sits on the crest of Clerks Hill. The east front has a portico with three arches on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story and with a large header above at the roof line. A similar portico is on the west side.

 

Note: The previous courthouse was designed and constructed by Solomon Jenkins in 1846 at a cost of $9,000.. J W Thompson constructed the foundation, walls and roof for the present courthouse at a cost of $37,349, and Nicholas Pelligreen completed the building at a cost of $57,000.

 

County Courthouse – St. Charles  

 

1481m09

 

Location:  100 North 2nd Street / Jefferson Street

Built:  1992– 1993

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Sverdrup CRSS, a division of Jacobs Facilities Inc. of St. Louis.

Contractor:  Sverdrup CRSS, a division of Jacobs Facilities Inc. of St. Louis.

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a five story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The southwest front has a semi-circular glass and stone one story entrance. Behind rises a semi-circular section with extended roof overhang. The fifth story is recessed with similar overhang. The south side has red colored brick facing and vertical windows and the west side has red colored brick facing on the lower section.  

 

County Justice Center – St. Charles  

 

1486m09

 

Location:  301 North 2nd Street / Monroe Street

Built:  1987– 1988

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Harry C LePique & Associates and Powers Associates Inc.

Contractor:  Hankins Construction Company.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a four story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building has small windows and descends down a slope. A horizontal band of stone runs along the top of the first story. The central entrance on the east side is recessed. The roof line is flat.

 

County Administration – St. Charles  

 

1491m09

 

Location:  201 North 2nd Street / Monroe Street

Built:  1993– 1994

Style:  Modern

Architect:  JSverdrup CRSS, a division of Jacobs Facilities Inc. of St. Louis.

Contractor:  Sverdrup CRSS, a division of Jacobs Facilities Inc. of St. Louis.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a five story concrete and glass structure. The east front is rounded with columns rising to the roof line and glass windows between.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Lincoln County, Calhoun County, Illinois and Jersey County, Illinois

E – Madison County, Illinois

S – St. Louis County and Franklin County

W – Warren County

 

 

 

1510m09

 

 

1503m09

 

 

1504m09

 

 

1505m09

 

 

1506m09

 

 

1507m09

 

 

1508m09

 

 

 

1512m09

 

 

1511m09

 

 

1482m09

 

 

1483m09

 

 

1484m09

 

 

1485m09

 

 

1487m09

 

 

1488m09

 

 

1490m09

 

 

1489m09

 

 

1492m09

 

 

1493m09

Photos taken 2009