Madison County is named for James Madison, who was the President of the United states from 1809 to 1817.
Created: September 14, 1812
Edwardsville 1812 – present
County Courthouse – Edwardsville
Location: 155 North Main Street / St. Louis Street
Built: 1914 – 1915
Architect: Robert G Kirsch of Saint Louis, Missouri
Contractor: English Brothers of Champaign
Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The east front has a projecting center section with the entrance on the first story and two high columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. Between the columns is a high recessed window. On either side of the center section are similar two column segments with windows between. The roof line has a solid stone balustrade.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed and built by Charles H Pond in 1857.
County Administration – Edwardsville
Location: 157 North Main Street / West College Street
Built: 1990 – 1992
Style: Modern Neo-Classical
Architect: Leo A Dals
Contractor: Kotte-Plocher Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The building is on the north side of the courthouse.
Photos taken 2007 and 2012